Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Come Dine With Me

Whimsical Dinner Party

Classic Dinner Party

Whimsical from top left: Royal Albert Zandra Rhodes Dinner Plates, Swarovski Champagne Flutes, Anna Weatherley Ceramic Butterfly Cardholders, Villeroy & Boch Blacksmith Cutlery, Kim Seybert Coral Napkin, Kim Seybert Lace Capiz Shell Placemats, Alessi Cactus Fruit Bowl

Classic from top left: Wedgewood Renaissance Dinner Plate, Wedgewood and Bentley Dinner Plate, L'Object Pave Sphere Salt & Pepper Shakers, Royal Doulton Crystal Saturn Noveau Flute, Vera Wang Cutlery, Kim Seybert Lattice Blue Napkin, Tiffany & Co. Plaid Cut Crystal Bowl, Kim Seybert Crystal Dome Sky & Gold Napkin Ring, Agraria Votive, Smythson Stationery
I have always had a thing for a beautifully laid out dinner table.  When I invite people around for lunch or dinner, I go to a lot of effort thinking of a theme and plotting colour schemes, floral arrangements and place cards.  When I was 25, I won a minor prize of gift vouchers for the local shopping centre and I spent every cent of it on a dizzying array of various dinner plates, napkins, servingware, candles and placemats.  Now that I think back to it, I guess that most 25 year olds would have bought clothes with the money!  It was my first foray into decorating and I have not been able to uncurl my fingers from the colour wheel ever since.

Decorating a table is a great introduction to decorating a room.  It's on a much smaller scale and it's less expensive, but the same design rules still apply.  First decide what style you want to achieve.  I have created a mood board for a what I call a whimsical scheme (think outdoor luncheon or perhaps an engagement party) and a classic scheme.  Choose a feature colour and use it as a focal point on the table.  Think about layering your table and balancing the objects.  For example, if you have large high backed dinning chairs, use a large centrepiece to balance the table.  Remember to keep items low to allow conversation around the table.  I'm not a great cook (I have a few old favourite recipes), but with a beautifully laid table, great company and a nice bottle of wine, we have some great nights at our house.

1 comment:

  1. Both mood boards have some interesting pieces - I think I could see myself using both and the pieces are also interchangeable.

    ReplyDelete