Thursday, September 1, 2011

Loving Our City

The Block Arcade & Haighs Chocolates
Image via http://www.doubleconvexphotography.com/

Tiffany, Collins St
Image via http://www.ladymelbourne.com.au/

Degraves St
Image via http://www.degravesstreetonline.com/

David Jones Food Hall
(Megan Gale was disappointingly not there yesterday)
Image via The Age, picture by Angela Whylie

Il Papiro Firenze
http://www.ilpapirofirenze.com.au/

I spent a lovely day in the city yesterday with my four year old son.  After looking at Sibella Court's fabulous book on New York, it got me thinking about our gorgeous city of Melbourne.  What are my favourite places to see in town?  I had limited time yesterday as I had to be back for school pick up for my other son, but with a few lazy hours in the city (of which half was spent in public toilets - those of you with kids will understand!), there were some essential places to be visited.

First stop was Tiffany to check out the newly refurbished store.  Oh my goodness.  This was absolutely breathtaking.  I think that I may have to do a separate post on this one to fully inform you of its magnificence!  It is an absolute must if you are in the city.  Even if you have no interest in buying anything from the store, go in just to ogle the opulent design.  Hand blown Venetian glass chandeliers, perfectly styled little nooks, soaring ceilings and wait for it....the perfect sofas that I have been looking for!  For those of you that know about my search for the perfect sofa, it will not surprise you that I found them at Tiffany.

After the excitement of Tiffany, I needed to calm down so if was off to The Block Arcade for a coffee and indulgence (that I could afford).  The Block Arcade has to be one of my favourite places in the city.  It's architecture, sounds and smells just take me to another place.  We had a lovely coffee and people watched for a while, but then I just couldn't resist the temptation of Haighs Chocolates.

When I worked in the city, I regularly frequented this divine chocolate haven.  They have now expanded the store into three shopfronts (chocolate is big business) and their products still do not disappoint.  When my little angel was having a tantrum over which chocolate to buy, the sales assistant just smiled and calmly put a handful of complimentary chocolate buttons in a bag for him, saving both of us.

Still on food, our next stop was the food emporium at David Jones.  This place is just a foodies paradise.  Every type of gourmet desire is catered for.  My friend Dannielle and I can spend hours here - just oohing and ahhing over the pretty food packaging.

Last stop of my whirlwind city escape is Degraves St.  It's cool, it's busy, it's quirky and it's worth a visit.  It is so urban with the graffitied walls, exposed rubbish bins (sounds nice huh - but somehow it works), cobble stoned street and sea of bistro chairs.  The little shops in this street make you feel like you have discovered something special that no-one else knows about.  Have a look in Il Papiro for elegant Italian designer papers and a cosy European little store design.

No comments:

Post a Comment