Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Bathroom Renovation Tales

Bathroom Mood Board

Our bathroom needs renovating but we face a common problem that many homeowners with a non functioning bathroom (let's just call it broken) face.  What kind of renovation do you do?  There are two major things to consider when approaching a renovation of any kind, but particularly when looking at key rooms in your house such as the bathroom or the kitchen ,and they are budget and use.

We are looking at moving from our house in the next year or two and therefore the amount we spend on any renovation has to be clearly analysed in terms of return on our dollar.  We also have to consider they type of house we have which is a 3 bedroom, family suburban home and therefore the type of bathroom required for such a house.  Finally, we have to consider potential buyers of our house.  Whilst I was keen (ok, chomping at the bit, is a bit more like it) to use some of my design skills and create this fantastic spa like haven with marble like tiles and sparkling mosaics in brilliant colours, it was actually the builder who popped my dream bubble and brought me back to reality.

He took one look at my tile selection and stated the obvious which was that although my selection was very nice, it was too specific and may polarise and alienate potential buyers if they did not like the tile.  I will always listen to someone's input and I must admit, he had a bloody good point.  Although my ego was asking, "how could anyone not like my style?", my head was telling me that not everyone has taste (yes, my ego was answering too) and everyone is different. It's a lot easier to repaint a wall and change accessories than it is to rip up tiles and lay new ones.  Keeping this is mind, it's wise to choose neutral tones for wall and floor tiles and use other elements to bring in the glamour or personality you want if you are looking at renovating with resale in mind.  I'll save my "super" bathroom for the house that I plan on staying in for a while.

 
So here is my mood board for the bathroom at the moment.  I'm going to keep the floor tiles a neutral latte colour and the wall tiles in white and use wallpaper and wall sconces to bring in my wow.  I have these fantastic white wooden Moroccan style mirrors that were the inspiration for the room and they will contrast well with the wallpaper and the vanity.

I'll keep you updated on how it goes and if my builder has anymore gems of advice for me to share with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment